This Islamic guide is for non-Muslims who would like to understand Islam, Muslims (Moslems), and the Holy Quran (Koran).
Some of the topics in this guide
– Evidence that Islam is a true religion
– Proofs that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God
– Scientific miracles in the Holy Quran (with scientific illustrations)
– Why Muhammad (ﷺ) is truly a prophet sent by God
– Some benefits of Islam, such as Entry into Paradise
– General information on Islam
– Pillars of faith
– Correction of some misconceptions about Islam
– The status of women in Islam
– What Islam says about terrorism
Some features of this guide
– 43 illustrations (39 of them in color)
– Rich in information, references, and bibliography
– Reviewed and edited by many professors and well-educated people
– Brief and simple to read, yet containing much scientific knowledge
Chapter 1 – Some Evidence for the Truth of Islam … 5
(1) The Scientific Miracles in the Holy Qur’an . . . 5
A) The Qur’an on Human Embryonic Development . . 6
B) The Qur’an on Mountains . . . . 11
C) The Qur’an on the Origin of the Universe . . . . . . 14
D) The Qur’an on the Cerebrum . 16
E) The Qur’an on Seas and Rivers. . . . 17
F) The Qur’an on Deep Seas and Internal Waves . . . 20
G) The Qur’an on Clouds. . . . . . . 22
H) Scientists’ Comments on the Scientific Miracles in the Holy Qur’an . . . 27
(2) The Great Challenge to Produce One Chapter Like the Chapters of the Holy Qur’an . . . . . 32
(3) Biblical Prophecies on the Advent of Muhammad (peace be upon him), the Prophet of Islam . . . 33
(4) The Verses in the Qur’an That Mention Future Events Which Later Came to Pass . . 35
(5) Miracles Performed by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) . . . 36
(6) The Simple Life of Muhammad (peace be upon him) 37
(7) The Phenomenal Growth of Islam … 40
Chapter 2 – Some Benefits of Islam . . . . . 41
(1) The Door to Eternal Paradise . . . . . 41
(2) Salvation from Hellfire. . . . . . . . . . 42
(3) Real Happiness and Inner Peace . . 43
(4) Forgiveness for All Previous Sins . 44
Chapter 3 – General Information on Islam. . . . . . . 45
What Is Islam? . . . . 45
Some Basic Islamic Beliefs . . . 45
1) Belief in God . . . . . 45
2) Belief in the Angels . . . 47
3) Belief in God’s Revealed Books . . . . 48
4) Belief in the Prophets and Messengers of God . . . 48
5) Belief in the Day of Judgment . 48
6) Belief in Al-Qadar . . . . . . . . . . 48
Is There Any Sacred Source Other than the Qur’an? . . . . . 49
Examples of the Prophet Muhammad’s Sayings . . . . . . 49
What Does Islam Say about the Day of Judgment? . . . . . . 50
How Does Someone Become a Muslim? . . . . . 52
What Is the Qur’an About?. . . . 54
Who Is the Prophet Muhammad? . . . 54
How Did the Spread of Islam Affect the Development of Science? . . . . . . 56
What Do Muslims Believe about Jesus? . . . . . . 57
What Does Islam Say about Terrorism?. . . . . . 59
Human Rights and Justice in Islam . . . 61
What Is the Status of Women in Islam? 63
The Family in Islam 64
How Do Muslims Treat the Elderly? . . 64
What Are the Five Pillars of Islam? . . . 65
1) The Testimony of Faith . . . . . . 65
2) Prayer. . . . . 66
3) Giving Zakat (Support of the Needy) . . . . . 66
4) Fasting the Month of Ramadan 67
5) The Pilgrimage to Makkah . . . 67
Islam in the United States. . . . . 68
For More Information on Islam . . . . 69
For Suggestions and Comments on This Book . . . 70
For Further Reading on Islam. . . 70
References . . . 71
This book is a brief guide to understanding Islam. It consists of three chapters.
The first chapter, “Some Evidence for the Truth of Islam,” answers some important questions which some people ask:
– Is the Qur’an truly the literal word of God, revealed by Him?
– Is Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) [These Arabic words mean, ‘May God exalt his mention and protect him from imperfection.’] truly a prophet sent by God?
– Is Islam truly a religion from God?
In this chapter, six kinds of evidence are mentioned:
1) The Scientific Miracles in the Holy Qur’an: This section discusses (with illustrations) some recently discovered scientific facts mentioned in the Holy Qur’an, which was revealed fourteen centuries ago.
2) The Great Challenge to Produce One Chapter Like the Chapters of the Holy Qur’an: In the Qur’an, God challenged all human beings to produce a single chapter like the chapters of the Qur’an. Ever since the Qur’an was revealed, fourteen centuries ago, until this day, no one has been able to meet this challenge, even though the smallest chapter in the Qur’an (Chapter 108) is only ten words.
3) Biblical Prophecies on the Advent of Muhammad (peace be upon him), the Prophet of Islam: In this section, some of the Biblical prophecies on the advent of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) are discussed.
4) The Verses in the Qur’an That Mention Future Events Which Later Came to Pass: The Qur’an mentioned future events which later came to pass, for example, the victory of the Romans over the Persians.
5) Miracles Performed by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him): Many miracles were performed by the Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him). These miracles were witnessed by many people.
6) The Simple Life of Muhammad: This clearly indicates that Muhammad (peace be upon him) was not a false prophet who claimed prophethood to attain material gains, greatness, or power.
From these six kinds of evidence, we conclude that:
– The Qur’an must be the literal word of God, revealed by Him.
– Muhammad (peace be upon him) is truly a prophet sent by God.
– Islam is truly a religion from God.
If we would like to know if a religion is true or false, we should not depend on our emotions, feelings, or traditions. Rather, we should depend on our reason and intellect. When God sent the prophets, He supported them with miracles and evidence which proved that they were truly prophets sent by God and hence that the religion they came with is true.
The second chapter, “Some Benefits of Islam,” mentions some of the benefits that Islam provides for the individual, such as:
1) The Door to Eternal Paradise
2) Salvation from Hellfire
3) Real Happiness and Inner Peace
4) Forgiveness for All Previous Sins.
The third chapter, “General Information on Islam,” provides general information on Islam, corrects some misconceptions about it, and answers some commonly asked questions, such as:
– What does Islam say about terrorism?
– What is the status of women in Islam?